[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 79xx + asterisk + some functions Q

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Sep 15 11:12:17 MST 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Alex Ongena wrote:
> Q's:
>
> 1) Status info: can I see on my 7960 equipment (eventualy
>    with the 7914 extension) who is free/busy and alike ?

No.  The 7914 doesn't work with SIP, either.

> 2) Can I use 1 button press on that 7960 to transfer the
>    call to that free line ?

Not to the best of my knowledge.

> 3) Besides the physical differences, are there functional
>    differences between 7960, 7940, 7912, 7905 ?
>    (ea, are there functions (like hold, transfer, ...
>    that are missing on a certain model ?) or are the
>    firmware images of alle equipments the same ?

There are two families, 7960/7940 and 7905/7912.  I've heard that the
7912 UI is slightly better, but I haven't seen it.  I'm happy with my
7940.

> 4) Can Asterisk (or own extensions/scripts) drive the dis-
>    play on the 7960, 7940, 7912, 7905 ?
>    (for example: incomming call from XXX => we do db lookup
>    => when found, we show their Maintenance status on
>    the Cisco display of the phone that answers the call)

You have room for around 20 characters of caller ID status.  That's
about the only thing you can display on the Cisco.

> 5) I understood that the 7920 (Wireless) does not support SIP.
>    Does this limit this equipment very much ? (no call transfers,
>    or on-screen info, or ... ???)
>    Or has anyone heard of a newer model that will support SIP ?

The 7920, 7970, and 7935 are SCCP-only.  They'll probably work with one
of the SCCP drivers for Asterisk, but I haven't tried.

> 6) Can we make following scenario work with Asterisk ?
>    Incomming call => secretary
>    she answers and looks on her 7960 + 7914 who's free
>    she transfers to X
>    during transfer, a db lookup is made (or own Postgresql)
>    to find a matching original tel number. As a parameter,
>    X is passed, so via IPC we can do a pop-up on his PC
>    (when on) with info of the caller.
>    X receives the call on his 7912 / 7905. On his Cisco display
>    some extra info is showed to tell him that info was found
>    and he should look to his PC.

Mostly.  I'm not sure if the 7914 works right with Asterisk and SCCP,
but the SIP firmware on the Cisco phones won't even recognize it.
There are a few alternatives--look at the flash operator UI (search the
wiki for a URL).  The transfer/DB lookup/IPC bit is just a simple
matter of programming.  The phone pop-up is limited to one line of
caller ID information.

Scott