[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 79xx + asterisk + some functions Q

Alex Ongena Alex.Ongena at able.be
Wed Sep 15 08:56:36 MST 2004

Hi,

I am new to Asterisk and have some general questions _before_
I start buying equipent to install and get everything up-and-running.
(this means I have no running Asterisk (yet)).

I have read already a lot of doc, but some things are not
clear to me, since I'am inexperienced in Asterisk and PBX.

The goal:
Make PBX using Asterisk and Cisco 79xx equipment for 25
phones (1 x 7970, 4 x 7960, 20 x 7905 / 7912) + 4 ISDN
BA connections using ELSA ISDN (Hisax compliant) boards.
I will use SIP between Cisco CP 79xx and Asterisk, and
mainly the ISDN gateway towards the public network.

Q's:

1) Status info: can I see on my 7960 equipment (eventualy
   with the 7914 extension) who is free/busy and alike ?

2) Can I use 1 button press on that 7960 to transfer the
   call to that free line ?

3) Besides the physical differences, are there functional
   differences between 7960, 7940, 7912, 7905 ?
   (ea, are there functions (like hold, transfer, ...
   that are missing on a certain model ?) or are the
   firmware images of alle equipments the same ?

4) Can Asterisk (or own extensions/scripts) drive the dis-
   play on the 7960, 7940, 7912, 7905 ?
   (for example: incomming call from XXX => we do db lookup
   => when found, we show their Maintenance status on
   the Cisco display of the phone that answers the call)

5) I understood that the 7920 (Wireless) does not support SIP.
   Does this limit this equipment very much ? (no call transfers,
   or on-screen info, or ... ???)
   Or has anyone heard of a newer model that will support SIP ?

6) Can we make following scenario work with Asterisk ?
   Incomming call => secretary
   she answers and looks on her 7960 + 7914 who's free
   she transfers to X
   during transfer, a db lookup is made (or own Postgresql)
   to find a matching original tel number. As a parameter,
   X is passed, so via IPC we can do a pop-up on his PC
   (when on) with info of the caller.
   X receives the call on his 7912 / 7905. On his Cisco display
   some extra info is showed to tell him that info was found
   and he should look to his PC.

6) Any direct pointers towards similar projects

Thank you very much,
a-like-to-become Asterisk user/developer.
Alex

visit us at Infosecurity NL  - Stand 08.B121
13-14 october 2004
Jaarbeurs - Utrecht Netherlands
Free Registration, click here: www.axsguard.com