[Asterisk-Users] PABX & VOIP Gateway

Tue Sep 14 16:53:22 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 10:34, Phil Stevens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm researching the possibility of using VOIP (SIP) with an existing
> PABX system. Ideally, the setup would be to dial an outside line through
> the PABX (that would actually link to the the VOIP gateway).
>
> At this point I would prefer not to purchase a hardware-based VOIP
> gateway. I would prefer to use a software-based gateway for research &
> testing purposes. Could anyone please describe a simple setup?
>
> Naturally the connection to the gateway would have to be Austel
> approved. I have seen references to the Netjet ISDN cards? I am having
> difficulties in finding information with regards to Austel compliance.
>
> Has anyone had experiences with such setups?

As already mentioned, you most likely don't need austel approved
hardware, but, it isn't a bad idea to use austel approved hardware
anyway in case you want to remove the PBX from the picture some time in
the future.

Definitely talk to the helpful people at ATP, in the meantime, I would
suggest one of the following options, in this preference order (my
personal preference), though it also depends on volume of calls.

TE4xxp (quad PRI E1/T1 with austel approval on the 3.3V version)
Fritz! card, or whatever it is called. (Single BRI with austel approval)
TDM04B (Quad FXO port card, I think it is austel approved also)

Failing the above, I would get some sort of sipura/cisco/grandstream ATA
device.

Regards,
Adam

PS, I have no connection with ATP except that they have helped me out
more than they needed to a number of times so far.