[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID "forwarded" to analog phone?

Chad Scott chad at idworld.net
Tue Sep 14 08:35:53 MST 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Andrew wrote:

> I'm a bit new to the terminology.  Let me ask my question more simply,
> even though I think you already answered that "it should
> work"
>
> I want to receive calls into the Asterisk PBX via a cheap POTS->PBX
> method, such as a WinModem or other FXS endpoint on the Asterisk
> PBX.
>
> I want the caller ID & call-waiting information that comes in on that
> line to be forwarded by the Asterisk PBX to a connected IP
> phone.

This will "just work".

One gotcha is to consider who is going to provide your call waiting...
will it be Asterisk or will it be the phone company?  If it's the phone
company, you'll have a bit of a roundabout way of answering the second
call (i.e. a simple hook flash won't work).  Someone else on the list
detailed the steps for that in a previous reply.

> Most importantly:  I also want to connect a POTS phone via an IP<->FXO
> jack, such as the one supplied by www.pcphoneline.com and I
> want to know if the caller ID/call-waiting is likely to work on that
> POTS phone.

I'd read http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-FXO just to make sure you're
getting FXO and FXS straight in your head.

If you're serious about setting this up trouble-free, I'd recommend
using Digium's (www.digium.com) hardware to start.  They sponsor
Asterisk and their stuff simply works.  Other products are known to
work as well, but you'll be spending a lot of the time troubleshooting
the hardware rather than doing neat things with the PBX.  All of
Digium's hardware supports Caller*ID.

Generally, the normal practice is to have the line from the phone
company terminate into an FXO jack on a PCI card in the computer
running asterisk.  You can then get IP->FXS adapters (Digium sells the
IAXy) that provide ring voltage to your phones.

Hope that helps,
Chad