[Asterisk-Users] Codec usage in iax.conf

Larry Shields LJ.Shields at Verizon.net
Mon Sep 13 14:44:49 MST 2004

I am running  Asterisk CVS-HEAD-08/25/04-20:11:31.  I have two IAX accounts
that I use, FWD and VoicePulse.  FWD requires you use ULAW codec to connect.
VoicePulse will work with most all the codecs Asterisk supports.

I recently tried to force VoicePulse connections to use ILBC or GSM and
found it would not work so long as ULAW was enabled anywhere in the iax.conf
file.  Below is my iax.conf file and although I have explicitly disallowed
ULAW in the VoicePulse section, it is still used when I make a VP call.

Only when I disallow all ULAW usage will I connect to VP with ILBC or GSM...
but when I do this FWD will not work as it requires ULAW.  Is this a bug or
am I not setting the parameters correctly.  Any help is appreciated.

; iax.conf
[general]
port=5036
bindaddr=0.0.0.0

; Specify bandwidth of low, medium, or high to control which codecs are used
; in general.
;
bandwidth=low

; You can also fine tune codecs here using "allow" and "disallow" clauses
; with specific codecs.  Use "all" to represent all formats.
;
disallow=all

allow=gsm
allow=ilbc