[Asterisk-Users] Re: Astersk as AVAYA IVR

Scott Lykens slykens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 10:26:38 MST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:07:30 -0600, Jason Kawakami
> will require a path back to the Index.  not sure what you mean by
> 'tromboning' but it may be in reference to using the same b-channel on the

On tromboning and anti-tromboning, this is a feature that is part of
the Nortel ITG system we are currently using on my voice network.
(Which I am hoping to replace with * soon) I believe ITG has had this
feature since its start, it certainly did when we first deployed it
four years ago.

What it basically is: It is a feature to detect if a call is being
sent back to the system it originated from and to, in effect, transfer
the call to its destination on the originating system and tear down
the voice path to the remote system rather than opening a new voice
path and having the call use two voice paths on a particular link when
no one at the distant end is involved in the call anymore.

The feature is very nice for use in a multi site environment where
calls are transferred around or where latency is large. It saves on
bandwidth and simultaneous path planning and helps a lot when sending
calls back to a main office from a remote facility located on the
other side of the world.

To the original poster, you might want to see if you can configure *
and the Avaya to allow you to transfer calls back to the Avaya system
as though the * system was nothing but a group of extensions off the
Avaya. You might not be able to do this with PRI but if the Avaya has
the capability to do Off-Premise Extensions (OPX) via T1 you might be
able to use that. Something like determine the route for the call and
then transfer it to that queue.

This should mean that you only need enough capacity between the Avaya
and * systems to handle the maximum number of simultaneous IVR calls
you expect at one time. This keeps * out of the middle of the call and
means it is only used to determine a queue to enter.