[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 crash course wanted

Thomas Hutton pres at nicheware.com
Sun Sep 12 19:46:22 MST 2004

Hello;

I'm curious where I can find a good document describing how to weave
together some servers in different places.  Trying to keep things as
simple as possible here, I don't understand how to get 2 way calling
going on between clients connected to separate servers.

First, I have 3 asterisk servers running.  One is my firewall here in
Buenos Aires, Argentina.  I have two others in Minnesota, USA.  What I'm
trying to do is to link the 3 together so that they all have access to
extensions on each-other.  For example, if I have SIP clients running
off of all of them, they should all be able to dial each-other without
knowing anything.  In other words, suppose I run an sip phone behind my
firewall here, place a call to 102, IAX carries the call across the net
to the asterisk server in the US, and rings 102, an SIP phone on a local
internal net there.  I would like the SIP phone at 102 to be able to
ring me back here at 103, or say a client of another server at 104. I'm
very sorry for being overly wordy here, by the way.

So far I'm able to get machines registering with each other just fine,
but I'm running into problems with how to organize extensions.conf, when
or where to use the switch=> functionality, and how to specify, assign,
allow, and/or disallow [contexts] by IAX2 with that switch feature.
Perhaps I shouldn't be using it at all.  I can get calls to work in one
direction only.

So if anybody knows of a good basic bare minimum example config - or
possibly could cut and paste a sample, I'd be sincerely grateful.  I'm
using hacked up versions of the sample dialplans from "make samples," so
to have things working this well after going into those blind I think
I'm doing ok.  I've been attacking this software pretty hard for about a
week now and it's already saved a heck of a lot of money on
international calls for me.  (using handytone 286's in 3 locations)

Sorry again to ramble!  Thank you very much for any assistance,

Thomas Hutton