[Asterisk-Users] call quality monitoring

mjr-asterisk at ranney.com mjr-asterisk at ranney.com
Sun Sep 12 11:08:52 MST 2004

Chris Icide <cicide at gmail.com> writes:

> Satellite links can be pretty tough to troubleshoot.  It sounds like
> you are running into a uplink buffer issue.  On heavily loaded
> uplinks, the input buffers can get quite large, and if the satellite
> provider isn't using some form of buffer handling that prioritizes udp
> traffic, it may be that most of your voice packets are falling on the
> floor of the uplink facility...

Yeah, I thought about that too, which is why I set up tools to monitor
packet loss and measure jitter.  It uses a non-conflicting UDP port
near the one that IAX2 uses.  My tests indicate very little loss and
the same jitter in both directions.

What I really want is a way to get asterisk to yelp if it notices that
its about to make the call sound bad due to late/missing packets or
for whatever reason.  Right now it seems that the network is
functioning normally but still one direction of the calls sounds
intermittently awful.
Matt Ranney - mjr at ranney.com