[Asterisk-Users] iaxy vs sipura

John Kington jkington at cinci.rr.com
Fri Sep 10 14:54:37 MST 2004

At 02:23 AM 9/10/2004 +0900, you wrote: benjk.on.asterisk.ml at gmail.com

>If she is going to be on a residential ADSL, that shouldn't be a
>problem. I have friends in the UK who use both softphones and
>Grandstreams behind NAT on BT's ADSL service and we haven't had any
>major problems other than softphones locking up the PC or some silly
>stuff like that.
>
>Just make sure your Asterisk server is on a public IP address, or if
>it is behind NAT, then let her use FWD and use IAX to connect your
>Asterisk server to FWD.

I have asterisk running on a machine with a public ip which is pointed to by
dyndns. My wife's sister in France can call using sjphone (sip soft phone).
I have had no problems using asterisk for these calls nor for long distance
through Gafachi. (Did I just be bannished from the mailing list?)
My daughter has a XP laptop with 802.11g. I don't know what Internet access
she will have if any in the student housing. I am hoping she can find a
wireless
connection that she can share. I would like to also make it so she can walk
into some place that is a hotspot and make VoIP calls. Would a soft phone
using IAX be more reliable (easier) to use in this situation? I am sure she
will encounter NAT at least once in either situation. Her room does have a
port for telephone but I think she is on her own to get any phone service.
I have signed up with FWD and also have a DID through CallUK. She can
always use that to call back to the US.
Regards,
John