[Asterisk-Users] Dialing Out through Provider with Authentication

Karl Brose khb at brose.com
Thu Sep 9 09:19:51 MST 2004

In order to dial out to a sip provider, you need to configure that
provider in your sip.conf file
as a peer with your proper username and secret, etc.
The dial command syntax is
Dial ( SIP/<peer>/Extension)
or
Dial(SIP/extension at peer)

The registration function has nothing to do with dialing out, it's only
useful
for receiving calls if your IP addresss is not permanently known to your
provider.
It registers your location with the provider. You don't need to do that for
making outgoing calls.   The INVITE of your outgoing call will try to
authenticate
you automatically based on the info in your peer definition for the
provider.