[Asterisk-Users] Newbie: Only allow authenticated users to call

Bill Seddon bill.seddon at lyquidity.com
Wed Sep 8 01:46:55 MST 2004

I'm wondering if you are confusing two ideas.  It has to be possible for
anyone to be able to call you just like they can on an ordinary POTS line.
Registration is for those who need to appear in some sense "internal" to the
PBX.  Using dialplan contexts you can offer very different functionality to
callers who are registered versus those who are "just calling".

For example, you might assign all registered users to a context call
"internal" and provide access to all the dial plans.  You might set the
context of all non-registered callers to an "external" dialplan context.
The internal context might provide access to all the telephony services an
internal user might expect (eg dial 7 to get to voicemail automatically).
The external context might direct a caller to the operator or to a voice
prompt.  Optionally, you might provide an extension for voicemail so that
external employees calling from home or a client site can get to their
messages.  Clearly the caller will need to be prompted for a voice mail box
and password but that's covered by the voicemail system.

Bill Seddon
Lyquidity Solutions