[Asterisk-Users] 'connecting' voip-numbers to our Asterisk

Wed Sep 8 01:33:44 MST 2004

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:08:00 +0200, Evert Meulie <evert at witelcom.com> wrote:
> I have a problem... We have received a couple of phone numbers for voip
> from a local voip-provider. The work fine directly with a Cisco 7960,
> but so far I've not been able yet to integrate them into Asterisk.
>
> I've tried:
> /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
> *****
> [ip-incoming]
>
> exten => 88888888,1,Dial(106,20,r)
> *****
>
> /etc/asterisk/iax.conf
> *****
> register => 88888888:[password]@[voip-provider]
> *****
>
> This should be all I need to let incoming calls on 88888888 ring on
> extension 106, right?

No.

First of all, let me ask you this... Are you sure that this provider
supports IAX? I am asking because the Cisco 7960 doesn't do IAX, so
you wouldn't have been using IAX when connecting directly.

Second, if your provider does support IAX, then you will also need to
set up a peer for incoming connections and send the calls to your
incoming context, like so ...

[iaxprovider]
type=user
username=8888888
secret=blah
host=iax.provider.com
qualify=yes
disallow=all
allow=whatever-codec-they-support
context=incoming-from-iaxprovider

this may or may not work depending on how your provider will try to
connect to you. For example, FWD will always come in as user "iaxfwd",
so if you don't define your inbound peer as [iaxfwd] it won't work.
Also, some providers use passwords, others use RSA keys.

but assuming that the above matches the way in which your provider
expects to connect to you, then you will still need an incoming
context in extensions.conf named the same way as whatever comes after
the "context=" setting. Even that may not be enough depending on how
your proider presents the call to you. They may come in using your
username or number, but they may as well use an account code or simply
"s".

You will have to check out the sample configuration or whatever other
documentation they provide. The chance is that somebody on this list
is using the same provider, so you may tell us what provider you are
using and somebody may then share their configuration with you.

Also, the Wiki may have a sample configuration for the provider you are using.

I always use the IAX debug command on the console to find out how an
IAX peer comes in. Simply enter the command "iax2 debug" on the
Asterisk console, then make a test call and see what the debug output
says. It's pretty self explanatory. Use the command "iax no debug" to
turn debugging off again.

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.