[Asterisk-Users] iaxy vs sipura

Tue Sep 7 20:24:15 MST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:40:00 -0500, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:
> Hmmm, I thought 56k modems were 56k outbound only and maxs at 33k inbound
> or did the standard change again when I wasn't looking?
>
> And besides when did you get better than 28.8 through a hotel PBX?  >33k
> with a 56k modem in the real world is not that common.

Don't mix up the content of different posts.

In one post, I explained how I used IAX and ILBC successfully on a sub
20k dialup link in Egypt (that was not a hotel but an office, BTW) and
in a different paragraph I mentioned hotels in foreign countries as
one of many locations where things can go funny.

In another post, I responded to a question whether or not it might be
possible to use an IAXy on a 33k or 56k dialup connection. There was
no mentioning of any hotels and I did say that I have not used an IAXy
myself. My comment that the IAXy *should* work on a 56k link was based
on the fact that it supports ADPCM and if you check out the specs of
most DSPs which do ADPCM you will find that they do 16, 24, 32 and 40
kbps, although the ITU ADPCM recommendation (G.726) talks about 32
kbps. Which chip the IAXy uses and which modes that chip supports, I
guess only Digium can tell you. If you want to be absolutely sure,
then you may just want to try it out.

In fact, I think it would be very welcome if somebody with actual
experience testing the IAXy on the road posted some feedback here.
There is nothing that beats testing in the field.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.