[Asterisk-Users] iaxy vs sipura

Scott Lykens slykens at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:44:12 MST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:40:00 -0500, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:
> Hmmm, I thought 56k modems were 56k outbound only and maxs at 33k inbound
> or did the standard change again when I wasn't looking?
>
> And besides when did you get better than 28.8 through a hotel PBX?  >33k
> with a 56k modem in the real world is not that common.

When I first read the above posts I thought as you did but found
through some Googling that v.92 is 56k (53k) downstream and up to 48k
upstream.

Also, a note that the dialup connection will add in the neighborhood
of 140-170 ms of latency. If this is on top of an already high delay
connection you might find the conversation to be more of a
walkie-talkie type rather than natural flow, assuming you are using a
codec that will function over dialup to begin with.