[Asterisk-Users] MOH/mpg123 broken when running asterisk as non-root?

john lawler asterisk-users.lists.digium.com at tgice.com
Tue Sep 7 16:46:05 MST 2004

Marconi Rivello wrote:

> mpg123 writes to standard output... no ports.
> But, the suid might actually work. chmod +s mpg123. It makes mpg123
> run as the owner (if you set the owner to be root, then it will be run
> as root).

Marconi, thanks a lot.  That did the trick I just did a:

	chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/mpg123

and it works fine now, kicking off mpg123 as root even though asterisk
is running as my non-root user.  I'll put a note on the wiki non-root
page to document this.

I did have a lot of problems getting it to actually work at this point,
but that may've been due to some thrashing I was doing trying to play to
/dev/dsp w/ both aplay and mpg123 while Asterisk was running.  Seems
that you have to shutdown Asterisk to play directly to /dev/dsp
(probably b/c I had the Asterisk console setup and it was bound to
/dev/dsp or however you say that).

Thanks guys,

jl