[Asterisk-Users] Performance Specs

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Sep 7 13:29:57 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 10:29, Xiaofeng wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Are there any specs about performance of Asterisk?
> I want to know how many simultaneous SIP/VoIP connections
> on one Linux box.
> I don't care whether official specs or user tested specs.

As ALWAYS, there are TOOOOOOOOOO many variables to do a spec like you
asked.

Whats the connection to the remote SIP/VoIP end point? The connection
might be more limiting than the hardware.

How efficient is your motherboards chipset. Crap hardware won't perform
as well as good hardware even if you have the same CPU, Memory, and hard
drive configuration.

Transcoding, dialplan path, AGI functions. As you exceed 2 simultaneous
calls, your variables expand quite a bit.

Of course then you have the question of which linux distro, if it is
linux at all, whether it is x86 hardware at all.

Go look at the wiki for dimensioning. You will get an idea of what has
worked for others.