[Asterisk-Users] OT - Experience using Gmail for Asterisk Mailing List

Tue Sep 7 08:34:12 MST 2004

Hi

for those who are unhappy with whatever mail reader arrangement they
have reading the mailing list, I'd like to share my experience using
Gmail, which I have been using for about a week or so now.

I find Gmail to be excellent for the mailing list. It doesn't feel
like a web mail application at all. The threading works perfectly.
Responding to the list keeps the threads intact. It filters out the
HTML bits so I don't have to wade through all that HTML anymore. It
even hides extensive quoting and gives me a little link that reads
lines. If you click on that, it will reveal the quoted text and give
you a link underneath that reads "hide quoted text".

Instead of mailfolders, Gmail has what is called labels. This works
almost like mailfolders but has the advantage that messages can be
attached to more than one label, in other words it is like messages
being present in multiple mailfolders at once. This comes in very
handy when you want to keep most of the mailing list content and find
things later on because you can attach each message multiple labels
which you create yourself and for which you can define filter rules.

I guess the 1GB mailbox capacity will be sufficient to keep me going
for a while without having to delete any messages.

The advertising Google is showing on the rightmost coloumn is actually
helpful because it relates to the content of the message or the thread
you are looking at. Most of it looks like stuff you would actually be
interested to visit if the message or thread is what you are
interested in.

Since I use this account for the Asterisk mailing lists only, I sent
everything that's not showing the mailing list headers nor asterisk in
the subject line or body straight to the trash folder, so I guess spam
won't be an issue when it starts coming in. I have noticed though that
there are legitimate mailing list messages which ended up in the Spam
folder and it's not because of the filters I put in place - must be a
Gmail thing. So far there are 15 false positives out of 250 total.
Will have to send feedback to Google about that.

Overall, I find Gmail to be an excellent solution for the Asterisk
mailing lists -- and by extension for any other mailing lists, too.
So, if you know somebody who could invite you and you are not happy
using your regular email or some other webmail which breaks the
threading like Yahoo does, I recommend you bother them for an
invitation and try Gmail ;-)

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.