[Asterisk-Users] MOH/mpg123 broken when running asterisk as non-root?

john lawler asterisk-users.lists.digium.com at tgice.com
Tue Sep 7 09:46:20 MST 2004

Hi guys,

For the first time, I'm attempting to run asterisk as a non-root user
for all of the obvious reasons.

I'm attempting this with asterisk-1.0-RC2, based on the fairly
straightforward directions found here:

	http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+non-root

The only problem I can't get figured out is my mpg123 processes not
being spawned properly.  There's this note on the page from May:

   http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+non-root#comments

from someone else who felt my pain, and I've even gone in and hacked
around in res/res_musiconhold.c a bit to try to see if explicitly
forking mpg123 as a process owned by my non-root user would help.  It
doesn't seem to.

Has anyone else succesfully fixed this issue?  (And yes, I've done the
standard googling and archive searching on this issue).

Thanks,

jl