[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel 'Under the Hood' Project

Jamie Carl geek at j-code.net
Mon Sep 6 23:16:33 MST 2004

Victor Rini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After poking and prodding at Asterisk and Zaptel for over a couple
> years now, I've dedicated some time to actually reading the code and
> trying to figure it out.
>
> It's been fascinating. With the driver source on one part of the
> screen and a pdf of "Linux Device Drivers" on another part I've
> aquainted myself with device driver programming and the interesting
> hardware on the wildcards. I've always thought Asterisk and Zaptel
> were two of the coolest FOSS projects around and now that I've
> spelunked through the code a little bit I'm curious:
>
> Has anyone ever wrote a zaptel "under the hood" type of document,
> discussing how the pseudo tdm bus works, the zaptel hardware, etc? If
> so, please point me there.
>
> If not, I'd like to take a stab at compiling a paper or article about
> zaptel for a general audience, technically inclined but not hard core
> technical, i.e. people like me who
> have used asterisk but always wondered how it worked down to the
> hardware, spans, channels, chunks, samples level. Some help from the
> community of course would
> be great, perhaps through using a blog or wiki.
>
> Once the zaptel "dragon" is dispatched, I'd then focus on Asterisk.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> Regards,
> Victor

I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell would be interested in
such a document.  I don't think it would even just be for the
"technically inclined but not hard core technical" guys either.  I
consider myself pretty "hard core" but I just don't have the time to sit
down and learn about how it all works on the inside.  There's just too
many other projects that need to be done.  So in my opinion, a document
that just lays it out in plain english would save me a heck load of time
and allow me to learn about something that I unfortunately just don't
have the time (or motivation) to figure out for myself and therefore
probably wouldn't end up learning about otherwise. :)

My 2c.

Jamie