[Asterisk-Users] Newby question. Basic structure

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Sep 6 11:17:32 MST 2004

>         Is there a possible configuration in case I dont have a broadband
>         connection in the called-end, for example, a modem connection?
>

>     No, there is no modem support built into asterisk. The problem is that
>     modems typcially do not support the bandwidth needed for a single
>     phone call. About the minimum bandwidth needed (including IP overhead)
>     is roughly 30,000 bits/second full duplex.
>

> Could I cheat Asterisk by connecting the linux boxing it's running to a
> LAN which is connected to the internet using a
> Modem? In this way, Asterisk will see a broadband connection... this is
> assuming I dont care about the problem with
> the bandwith of course.

Sure you could. Asterisk doesn't care as long as the remote destination
is accessible via IP, and the path/tunnel (regardless of what its built
on or with) has sufficient bandwidth to handle the traffic.

>From the sound of the questions, NATing and plain old IP routing are
probably some topics to review in general. Asterisk can handle NATing,
but unless you read up on exactly how to configure it for your
specific case (if needed), it's likely to be less then clear initially.

Rich