[Asterisk-Users] Newby question. Basic structure

Rodolfo Grave rodolfograve at yahoo.es
Mon Sep 6 10:06:17 MST 2004

Thanks again Rich. I hope you dont mind to answer a few more questions....

>My response is inline...
>

>>Hi! and thanks a million for your answer. You hace cleared many of the
>>doubts I had, including the differences between the cards. At the same
>>time, new questions has arised:
>>
>>Is there a possible configuration in case I dont have a broadband
>>connection in the called-end, for example, a modem connection?
>>

>No, there is no modem support built into asterisk. The problem is that
>modems typcially do not support the bandwidth needed for a single
>phone call. About the minimum bandwidth needed (including IP overhead)
>is roughly 30,000 bits/second full duplex.

Could I cheat Asterisk by connecting the linux boxing it's running to a
LAN which is connected to the internet using a Modem? In this way,
Asterisk will see a broadband connection... this is assuming I dont care
about the problem with the bandwith of course.

>>Is it possible to set a route for the IP packages? This is to optimize
>>the packets transmission over internet.
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean with the above question. The voip packets
>will typically be standard old UDP packets, and those packets are routed
>over the Internet like any other IP packet based on whatever the ISP's
>have elected to do. You don't have any choice on how those are routed
>in any case.

That's exactly what I asked....

>>I'm outside US, so, why should I use tdm instead of x100p?
>>

>The chip set on the x100p was designed specifically to match the US
>telco standards. The card will work in some countries, but other
>countries you'll hear a lot of echo, callerid may not work, etc, etc.
>The TDM card has a much newer chip set that was intended to be used
>in many different countries around the world. Therefore, stay with
>the TDM (as opposed to the x100p).
>
>Rich

OK. And thanks again.

RODOLFO

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0436-4, 03/09/2004
Tested on: 06/09/2004 19:06:19