[Asterisk-Users] spouse-friendly spa-3000 pstn interface

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Sep 6 10:41:39 MST 2004

> I have an SPA-3000 with a similar setup to yours.  Unlike yours, my cordless
> phone system is on a SPA-2000 that connect through the SPA-3000 for a PSTN
> connection. For LD I use 91xxx for (MCI) or 71xxx for (VoicePulse).  In
> addition to trunk access codes 7 & 9, I use FWD by dialing 8xxxxxx.
>
> I also recently replaced our 2.4GHz phones with 5.8GHz phones.  I picked the
> Uniden TRU8866 5.8GHz cordless system (I highly recommend it).  It supports
> up to 10 handsets on one base unit and has excellent audio quality.  What
> really sold me on this cordless phone system, besides the audio quality, was
> the fact that it supports two lines.  I have connected both lines to the
> SPA-2000 which allows us to utilize the local PSTN and VoIP trunk
> simultaneously.
>
> I like your post because I have also gone to great lengths to integrate the
> * system into our home without alienating my wife or visiting friends &
> family.  Fortunately I have been able to talk my wife into using the *
> voicemail functions.
>
> At first my wife was not too keen on the VM system.  It was the Uniden sets
> that sold her on it.  The Uniden system supports Message Waiting Indicator
> (MWI) when messages are left on the * system.  So she can see from any
> handset (red slow flashing LED) that a VM message is waiting.  The phone
> base and handsets also have a feature button marked for checking VM.  So I
> programmed the button on all the cordless handsets to dial the VM extension
> 2500#, which then prompts for the mailbox password.  So far so good, no echo
> and the clarity is excellent whether talking to a PSTN or VoIP call.

We're using the Panasonic 2-line multi-remote cordless 2gig phones.

> The only problem I have not been able to figure out is flashing to the PSTN
> line for call-waiting... It does not work and I get secondary dial tone
> instead of the waiting call.  Any Ideas?

I've not got that far to test any of the flash functions, but will have
the same issue here (eg, call-waiting). Best guess is that 'should' work
as the spa's do have parameters to detect it (on the fxs side), and do
something with it. Since the default path is via the pstn side, it would
seem like that flash would be replicated through to the pstn. But
obviously that's a guess.

Saying the same thing in reverse, the spa engineers have addressed most
of the US calling functions and they addressed fxs flash. Since the flash
function is used for so many pstn purposes, if you were an spa engineer,
what would you do with it? (I'd have to guess its not documented very
clearly anywhere, but they're doing something it.)

Rich