[Asterisk-Users] Placing Asterisk between existing PBX and PSTN

Begumisa Gerald M beg_g at eahd.or.ug
Mon Sep 6 08:38:24 MST 2004

Hi,

I've read through the Asterisk handbook and I'd just like clarification
from someone that's implemented the above before.  Lets imagine I want to
use the CallingCard application and don't want to tell a client to buy a
channelbank (the analog extensions are too many to connect to FXS cards),
I figure I could set them up as below:

Original Existing Setup
-----------------------

 PSTN  +-------+
------||       ||------A1
------|| PBX   ||------A1
------||       ||------A1
------||       ||------A1
       +-------+

	A1,A2,A3,A4 are analog extensions

Setup With Asterisk
-------------------

 PSTN           +----------+          +-------+
------|        ||          ||        ||       ||------A1
------|FXO Card|| Asterisk ||FXS Card||  PBX  ||------A2

So they only pay for the Asterisk box, the FXO Card (TDM04B) and FXS Card
(TDM40B).

I'd appreciate any "yes/no/been there" answers.  I just want to make sure
about this, in case there's anyone that's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Gerald.