[Asterisk-Users] My Cisco 7940 is not registering with Asterisk

Rana Dutt rdutt at softelinc.com
Sun Sep 5 07:37:43 MST 2004

I just got a Cisco 7940G phone running SIP firmware version POS3-06-1-00. I
unlocked the phone's config, and using the soft keys, I entered the SIP
Configuration menu and keyed in values for Name, Auth. Name, ProxyAddress
(where I gave my Asterisk server's IP address), etc.

The result is that I can make outgoing calls from this phone just fine
through my Asterisk server, but I cannot call the phone. With most SIP
phones, after you save the SIP settings, the phone registers with *, and you
see the registration message on the * console. But in my case, saving the
SIP settings had no effect, I saw no message that the phone registered.
Obviously, the phone can see the * server, because outgoing calls work.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How do I force the 7940 to register? I have
other non-Cisco phones like Snom 200 that work just fine.

Here's my phone's SIP settings:

Line 1 Configuration
====================
Name           201
Shortname      201
Authent. Name  201
Password       <none>
Display Name   201
Proxy Address  192.168.2.11 (the IP address of the Asterisk server)
Propxy Port    5060

And here's the relevant part of my sip.conf:

[general]
port = 5060
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
disallow = all