[Asterisk-Users] Free WWT (WorldWideTelco): Utopia, or just a matter of organization?

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 4 18:27:34 MST 2004

Hi,

Without going in depth of my thesis research, this is _no_ utopia and
with a good organisation it can be set very easily also by non techies.

Probably everybody remembers Sipphone.com with there *cute* little
blackboxes where you can put in a landline, ethernet, and a regular phone
(pots). With the thingie you can switch landline/vip by placing a * before
a phonecall. Rest can be setup in a webinterface.

This box is stupid but cheap! So what is my proposal to make it smart?
Implementing ENUM in it. Something close to the DNS/ITU version,
but with this difference that least cost routing is in place. Basically
the SIP proxy/Asterisk where you connect to feets the DNS database with
replacements for tel:phonenumber to sip:phonenumber at whateveriscloser.uto

DNS (ENUM) knows when the user calls to a non-voipable localcall, thus,
the tel:localnumer would tranfer to the real phonenet. [*]

But... since I cannot get any hold of Leadtech and the company who
designed this box refers to them I cannot get this idea into practice. But
as you know this box is only a FXO/FXS with Eth0, things Asterisk has got
too, by implementing this smart routing in a dialplan format (Dynamic ENUM
is this case) your utopia gets a GPS position on the map.

[*] I'm, at the moment, trying to extend DNS with some privacy aspects
making ENUM for myself more valuable. With this same privacy extensions it
would be possible to _identify_ a user and generate the right responce.

This all sounds great if you have a userbase, without it I could only call
only call yourself on my brand new communication system...

Greetings,

Stefan de Konink