[Asterisk-Users] G729 license

Sergey Lapin slapin at drevlanka.ru
Fri Sep 3 04:40:00 MST 2004

Hi, all!
Will asterisk use G729 license if both ends have support for G729 and no
transcoding needed? So, the scheme:

<remote phone G729>----<Asterisk with G729 codec>----<local phone G729>

As I understand, in this situation everything can be passed through, and
is so on default asterisk installation, but we require transcoding,
because most our "phones" are X-lites on LAN and use GSM codec. Remote
link is voipexchange.ru and prefer G729 since it's cheapest there and
there are many directions where other codecs are not available or too
expensive.
So, another question is will all this transcoding between GSM and G729
work for 30 calls at the same time on Celeron 1700 (PIV) ?

All the best,
S.