[Asterisk-Users] Polycom Microbrowser

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Thu Sep 2 13:20:17 MST 2004

I have just spent the morning playing around with a Polycom IP600's
microbrowser.  Everything is working pretty well.  In answer to the
question of what type of XML it runs, it appears to be more or less
XHTML-compliant.  I have created a basic set of web pages allowing users
to clock in and out against our MySQL timeclock system, running a PHP
back-end.  It's running like a champ.

Please refer to the Administrator's guide, pages 106, 107, and 53 to get
it set up correctly.

When creating web applications, be very careful about syntax.  Here's a
few gotcha's that I have found:

WRONG:
<input type="text" name="myfield">
<input type="submit" value="Click Me">

RIGHT:
<input type="text" name="myfield" />
<input type="submit" value="Click Me" />

Notice the little slash on the end.  This is very XML-based, so you MUST
have perfectly balanced tags.  Most browsers are intelligent enough to
ignore little errors like these, but the polycom browser is very touchy.

</b> counterparts, but don't seem to make much of a difference.  Same
with <small>.

Other things I have noticed: selects (i.e. drop-down menus) don't seem
to work, using a <br> gave me problems, and tables look like crap, so
just use paragraphs.  One thing to note is that the title of the page
will appear at the top, centered, so give your pages good titles.

One important security note, I have not yet found a way to clear or
limit the history.  So, if I press the back button 3 or 4 times, I tend
to get re-clocked-out and other fun stuff.  I'm using server sessions,
but it seems that the phone will keep those alive between times you
press the "services" button.  If anybody finds a setting to fix this,
let me know.  For now, I have set some session variables to allow an
authentication to only be used one time before resetting it.  My next
try will be setting 30-second sessions for PHP, but I really want the
sessions to reset when the user switches away from the microbrowser.

Thanks,
David