[Asterisk-Users] G729 licenses

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Sep 2 12:47:19 MST 2004

Kevin Walsh wrote:

>Andreas Sikkema [andreas.sikkema at ritstele.com] wrote:
>

>>asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>>

>>>There are a few codecs, other than G.729, that you may not have
>>>heard of.  These include GSM, iLBC and SpeeX, to name a few.
>>>Paying for G.729 licenses, however cheap they may appear, only
>>>encourages the monopolists.
>>>

>>The problem being that those are not supported by the devices we
>>use. Unfortunately we don't have the influence (yet?) to change
>>that.
>>

>And you will never have that influence if you continue to encourage
>the G.729 monopolists.

I am going to jump in here.  I think that it is clear from looking at
the history of software and computer hardware that the market is
competitive enough that systems which are heavily encumbered by
licensing restrictions will always lose to systems which are not.  We
can remember IBM's Microchannel Architecture and GIF as the great
examples of what happens to heavily patented technologies (even in
environments where open source has not taken off yet).  The reason is
simple economics and beyond the scope of this discussion except to say
that such restrictions cause additional production costs with vendors
would rather avoid.  Unless the patented technology is *so much better*
than its competitors to deliver enough value to make up for these
restrictions, it is simply not competitive.  As other technologies are
getting better too, patented technologies cannot generally remain
competitive through even most of their useful life.   Therefore these
technologies die, and this is why patents which are valid for more than,
say, 5 years end up hurting innovation and stifling the software economy
(not just open source).

It is quite possible that when G.729 came out, it did provide compelling
value.  However, this has changed.  I think we will start to see more
devices supporting GSM, Speex, etc. in the near future, and G.729 will
be eventually relegated to "legacy support."

My suggestion to people is "Don't buy new equipment requiring G.729."
You may still need licenses for equipment you already have, but you
don't want to be tied to a technology which is beginning to die.

Best Wishes,
Chris travers
Metatron Technology Consulting