[Asterisk-Users] confusing info from Digium and asteriskdoc about setup of TDM11B

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Sat Oct 30 08:53:52 MST 2004

I received my TDM11B as I assume everyone currently does with the green FXS
module nearest the bracket (slot 1), and the red FXO card in the far slot (slot 4).

After installing the card and the zaptel modules I believe I have the modules
loaded correctly, modprobe wcfxs returns:

			Freshmaker version: 71
			Freshmaker passed register test
			Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
			Module 1: Not Installed
			Module 2: Not Installed
			Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
			Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F (4 modules)

The instructions at:
http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/content/docbook/current_v1/docs-html_one/vm1.html

tell me that I should use in my /etc/zaptel.conf:

fxoks=1 # Make sure that the FXS(green) module is closest to the bracket...
fxsks=4 # FXO module
defaultzone=us
loadzone=us

But a direct note from Digium gave me the following (which I suspect has 2
instead of 4):
Hi sir,
ALl the files will be the same as the online one, if you want the
examples needed to make your cards work, append these to the following files

/etc/ZAPTEL.CONF:
fxoks=1
fxsks=2

/etc/asterisk/ZAPATA.CONF

signalling=fxo_ks
group=1
callerid="Steve" <(555)555-5555>
channel=>1

signalling=fxs_ks
group=2
callerid=asrecieved
channel=>2

As in the website docs, ztcfg returns:

/sbin/ztcfg -vv

	Zaptel Configuration
	======================

	Channel map:

	Channel 01: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
	Channel 04: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 04)

	2 channels configured.

Now the website shows the following for /etc/asterisk/zapatel.conf, but
shouldn't the second channel be 4 and not 2???

language=en
context=default
switchtype=national
signalling=fxo_ks
channel => 1
signalling=fxs_ks
channel => 2

Now when I have an analog phone plugged into jack #1 on the back of the card and
I start asterisk I get nothing but steady static over that phone.  I would have
expected nothing, or by some miracle a dialtone, but not steady static.

Can anyone help get me started?

Steve