[Asterisk-Users] high-capacity systems / trouble with Tyan

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at nccom.com
Fri Oct 29 15:47:52 MST 2004

Hi.  We're looking for a reliable platform to run 12 or more T1s in a
single system.  Very little or no transcoding.  Mostly IVR and some
conferencing.

We have been been running 12 spans using Dual Athlon systems on an
older Tyan motherboard and 1500 MP CPUs.  This works for about
9 or 10 spans before trouble starts.

We wanted to try the new AMD MP 2800 chips on the newer Tyan S2466
motherboard, but the systems hang or panic (with DMA errors) after
starting the zaptel drivers.  We tried putting the older slower CPUs on
the new motherboard and had the same trouble.

We've tried to find other Athlon MP motherboards, but no one seems to
have any non-Tyan boards in stock.

I know there are no simple answers to questions like this.  But we'd
like to find a platform that can support as many spans as possible.

Any suggestions?  Should we try dual Opteron?  Dual Xeon?  Anyone have
a source for non-Tyan dual Athlon motherboards?

Thanks...