[Asterisk-Users] Rewriting a telephone number for remote dial out

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Fri Oct 29 13:56:34 MST 2004

I have * in several locations, one in a foreign country. To optimize on
the costs I am forwarding calls local for a remote server to the remote
server instead of dialing out locally. I want to keep it completely
transparent to the user however. Can the dial command rewrite numbers?

I forward the call to the remote server using IAX2, it will be treated as
a normal outgoing call there, I guess the rewriting should be done on the
server placing the call?

Some examples:

Dialled locally		Number that must be dialled remote
0034XXXXXX		9XXXXXXXXX	(-0034 and +9)
ZXXXXXX			078ZXXXXXX	(+078)

Thanks for any input, hope it's possible.