[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with Nortel BCM

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Fri Oct 29 07:24:03 MST 2004

Use H.323 and in the BCM set the protocol to "Other".

Do you HAVE to use the BCM? It's a really horrible system. I worked for
many years in tech support, and I've been involved in BCMs since the
beta trials of version 1.0, four years ago. I know BCM, and I can tell
you that it is one of the worst telephone systems ever produced. Check
out the spec sheet:

- The operating system is Windows NT 4.0 -- no really, an EIGHT YEAR OLD
OPERATING SYSTEM.
- The MSC card is a Norstar KSU that they put on a PCI card. That's
FIFTEEN YEAR OLD technology - and it shows.
- The platform is an Intel Pentium III 700Mhz, with 256megs of RAM, and
a 20meg hard drive. How much do they want you to pay for it?
- Many of the critical scripts in the system are DOS batch files (I am
NOT kidding!).

The BCM is famous for it's instability (go figure), and mind-numbingly
stupid interface. Unless you have a lot of money to waste on
obsolescence, I'd remove the BCM completely from the equation.

If you have to go Nortel, go with a Succession (even a Norstar would be
a more stable choice, and you can tie it into a VoIP gateway with PRI
trunks).

You might want to consider not using Nortel's VoIP technology at all --
I don't think they fully understand VoIP yet. Better would be to tie any
Nortel gear into your VoIP network using legacy trunking through, say,
an Asterisk gateway, like this:

[NT PBX/KSU]---PRI---[Asterisk]=====(WAN cloud)=====[Asterisk]

I wouldn't use the BCM as a boat anchor, but for sure it should NEVER be
used as the core of a VoIP network - it's just a key system, and not a
very good one at that!

Good luck!