[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP 500 and DTMF

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Thu Oct 28 05:00:21 MST 2004

> I played around for a few hours with a polycom 500 phone and it seems me that the dtmf
> mode is not configurable, looks like it only has inband mode.

> While this is ok with G711 I assume that will result in some troubles
> using G729, altought I cant test it because I havent got any g729 licence
> yet.

> Anyone has tried and is willing to share his impressions ?

I don't (yet) have any Polycom phones, but I have been stuck in
situations needing inband DTMF over G.729.

If you press the keys for a relatively long time (100 ms or more)
then perhaps 1% of the digits may get lost.  IIRC, the '0' key is
the worst.

If your application is "for sales, press 1", then it's probably ok.

If you need to key in 4-digit extension numbers, it will be annoying.

If you need to input account numbers, passwords, etc., with complex
menus, forget it.

--Stewart