[Asterisk-Users] Problem with AstTapi

Rana Dutt rdutt at softelinc.com
Wed Oct 27 21:51:48 MST 2004

I wanted to use Outlook 2000 to dial my Contacts using Asterisk. So I
installed AstTapi on my Windows XP machine. When I try to dial a contact,
the call originates just fine. My SIP phone rings, and when I pick up,
Asterisk makes the call to the dialed number correctly.

However, Outlook displays an error message saying "Unable to complete an
operation requested by the automatic phone dialer. Please make sure your
modem, phone and phone line are properly configured." After closing the
error message dialog, if I then go to dial the Contact again, I get a
different error message saying "An internal error occurred in the phone
dialer. Close the Dial Phone dialog box and then open it again." Well,
closing the dialog box and opening it again doesn't work: the same internal
error message keeps popping up when trying to make a call. The only way to
get rid of it is to exit Outlook and restart it.

Has anyone who has used AstTapi seen this problem? I am using Outlook 2000
SP3.

My Asterisk TAPI driver is configured as follows:

Host: 192.168.2.11 (IP of Asterisk server)
Port: 5038
Dial out by using the Dial application - Outgoing chan: Zap/1/
User: john
Password: my_secret
User channel: SIP/200

My manager.conf is as follows:

[general]
enabled = yes
port = 5038
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0

[john]
secret = mysecret
deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
permit=192.168.2.17/255.255.255.0
read = system,call,log.verbose,command,agent,user
write = system,call,log.verbose,command,agent,user

As I said, the first time I place the call from Outlook, it works fine. The
trace on Asterisk shows:

== Manager 'john' logged on from 192.168.2.17
  -- Launching Dial(Zap/1/18005551212) on SIP/200-da5d
  -- Called 1/18005551212
== Manager 'john' logged off from 192.168.2.17
  -- Zap/1-1 answered SIP/200-da5d
  -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rana Dutt