[Asterisk-Users] Type of T1 for T100P card

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 27 16:58:01 MST 2004

Hi Josh,

Josh Roberson wrote:

> Cirelle Enterprises wrote:
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pedro Aguayo"
>> <paguayo at teachscape.com>

There seems to be lots of misunderstanding in this chain :-)

The original poster is asking about 2-way telephony. All  the normal
forms of telephony on T1 can support 2-way operation, and Asterisk
supports them. However, ISDN and SS7 are more robust than the robbed bit
signalled forms, like wink start. 2-way just means the same T1 can
handle a mixture of incoming and outgoing calls on the same T1. With
high call volumes on robbed bit signalled T1s the likelyhood of incoming
and outgoing calls clashing (glare) can sometimes be unacceptable. ISDN
should be rock solid under these conditions.

Your post is also refering to telephony modes for T1s. RBS gives you all
24 channels, but it doesn't give you 24 *clear* channels. Some bits have
been robbed. Most commonly ISDN gives only 23 voice channels. However,
ISDN with NFAS and SS7 can give you 24 clear voice channels with Asterisk.

The middle poster seems to be referring to a data T1. Usually, these
either have 24 completely clear channels, or no channelisation at all -
just a single 1.5Mbps stream. He calls this a standard T1. I think most
people would not, since the more standard forms of T1 are ISDN, SS7 and
robbed bit. However, it is common for data, often carrying HDLC. This is
why most recent E1/T1/J1 framer devices have built in HDLC hardware.

Steve