[Asterisk-Users] G.72[69]

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 27 09:19:13 MST 2004

Hi Kevin,

Come on now. At least *try* to get your act together before replying.

Kevin Walsh wrote:

>The ITU codec can only be used to clarify aspects of the specification
>and commercial use is specifically denied.  You are apparently asked
>to agree to this before downloading and can therefore get into trouble
>if you break this agreement.

Its copyright code. What you agree to is irrelevant. The copyright
stands anyway. That is the law pertty much everywhere. No registration
of copyright or agreement to copyright is necessary.

>There are various other G.729 implementations, some of which are based
>upon the ITU code.  A specific licensing agreement will probably have
>been signed prior to the usage and release of code based upon the ITU
>source.

As far as I know there is *no* other implementation. The Intel code,
VoiceAge, and everything else I have looked at can clearly be seen to be
minor derivatives of the ITU reference code. Can you actually point to
another implementation?

>I have no idea what Intel's IPP code is based upon as they haven't
>released the source, to my knowledge.  If they are using ITU code then
>they will either have permission to do so or will have lawyers kicking
>down their door as we speak.

Try looking before shouting your mouth off. You have to build the code
Intel supply from source. You don't get the source for the Intel
performance primitives library itself. You get the ITU G.729 reference
source code modified so it runs faster using their IPP library.

>Anyone can license the Intel code for commercial use.  I think the
>price is around $200 per year.  The commercial license allows the
>developer to distribute an IPP runtime library along with their code.
>If someone was to license IPP from Intel, they would therefore be
>legally able to distribute the G.729 codec and the required IPP
>runtime in any way they see fit.

$200 lets you use the IPP library itself in commercial applications. The
G.729 source code is supplied purely as an example of how IPP can be
used to speed up the ITU reference code. Intel offer you no rights to
that, because it's not their to begin with. They give you similarly
modified source code for G.723.1 if I recall correctly.

>Of course, anyone not living in a free country will have to pay the
>per-channel G.729 tax to the monopolists anyway, so there's not a lot
>to be gained if you're one of these poor unfortunate individuals.
>We've been over this before so check the archives if you need
>clarification on this matter.

Usual clueless drivel. Try looking at patent law a little before babbling.

>I suggest simply ignoring G.729 and using a different codec.  Anyone
>stupid enough to have locked themselves into technology that can only
>deal with G.729 can consider this a lesson for the future, and should
>investigate ways to phase out their dependency.

On that much at least we agree.

Steve