[Asterisk-Users] Performance (Cisco AS5350) or Price (WildcardTE410P)

John Bittner john at simlab.net
Tue Oct 26 20:30:52 MST 2004

In our setup we tried to use a 4 Port T1 card in a Compaq
proliant. We had no issues with processor load or dropped
calls but major echo problems. I figured that since I was
using a PRI it was digital and should have no echo
issues....I was wrong. I had just as many problems with my
pri's as I had with fxo ports. I tried everything to clean
it up. Went with a Cisco 5400 and haven't had any issues at
all. The unit works like a champ.
The unit new with 4 T1 ports is $12K ...where did you get
40K from ?

Another option is to put in an echo can (DITECH) in front of
the digium card. I haven't tested this yet ...

John Bittner
Simlab.net

Of
> Matthew Crocker
> Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 9:23 PM
> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial
Discussion
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Performance (Cisco AS5350) or
Price
> (WildcardTE410P)
>

> I'm looking to build an Asterisk system to place in front
of my call
> center switch.  My plan is to eat up 4 PRIs in one office,
send to my
> other office and convert back to PRI for my legacy switch.
Voice
> quality is critical,  would I be better off going with a
Cisco AS5350
> using hardware DSPs for the g.729 codec or is the Digium
g.729 codec
> just as good with enough CPU to throw at it.   The lack of
dedicated
> DSP concerns me
>
> Option 1
>
> PSTN PRI -> AS5350 -> (2 x T1) IP(SIP,g.729) -> AS5350 ->
PRI -> PBX

> I would have 1 Asterisk server handling SIP, Conference,
IVR, Voice
> Mail.  I would purchase a bunch of g.729 codec licenses
>
> Option 2
>
> PSTN PRI -> Asterisk -> (2x T1) IP (IAX2, g.729) ->
Asterisk
> -> PRI ->
> PBX
>
> The first Asterisk would handle SIP, Conference, IVR,
Voice Mail

> If the voice quality of the software g.729 codec is as
good as the
> Cisco hardware codec I would *much* rather give my money
> Digium, buy
> their hardware and licenses.  If the quality isn't as good
I may be
> forced to spend $40k on AS5350s
>
> I'm thinking 2.8 Ghz P-IV HT with 2 GB RAM for each
Asterisk server.