[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk and Broadvoice, no incoming voice (Brian Weaver)

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Oct 26 17:05:09 MST 2004

> Jeff,

> I did a cut-n-paste of  your configuration straight into my sip.conf,
> updated the username and password. Still getting the same result as
> before, audio in only one direction. Can can call between my local
> SIP extensions fine, so I know my sipura box is working and configured
> correctly.

> I've sent another email to broadvoice, but I'm about to give up on
> them. Kinda sucks, because they have some of the better rates for
> BYOD.

Don't give up; it should be easy to at least find out what is
going wrong.

Your description is vague.  I am assuming that "no incoming voice"
means that when you receive an incoming call via Broadvoice, you
cannot hear the caller but he can hear you.  Also, when you place
an outgoing call via Broadvoice, you cannot hear the called party
but he can hear you.  And, if you call from the Asterisk console
through Broadvoice, you cannot hear the called party but he can
hear you.  Is that correct?

If so, run Ethereal on the Asterisk machine and see if audio
packets are coming in from Broadvoice.

If not: check that the SDP sent to Broadvoice has your correct
public IP address and a port in the correct range (if not,
check your externip, etc.)

If the SDP is ok, see if Broadvoice audio is coming in to
your NAT (view statistics on router if available, or rig
another PC with Ethereal on WAN side.)

If no incoming audio on WAN side, the NAT could be butchering
your SDP (it is SIP-aware but not adequately so) or there
could really be a problem with Broadvoice; test without the
NAT to be sure.

If Asterisk is getting audio but not playing it, check:
Firewall on Asterisk machine
Correct codec being used
Correct payload size
Correct UDP checksum, etc.