[Asterisk-Users] G.729 on YDL and MacOSX

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Tue Oct 26 15:13:07 MST 2004

Em Dom 24 Out 2004 04:04, Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists escreveu:
> > This is probably a good time to ask if there is any
> > planned support for a g729 binary for YDL and
> > G3/G4, etc.  I would love to start playing with
> > apple hardware, YDL, and asterisk.
> > But I need that binary!
> Indeed it is a good time to ask (but always start a new thread ;-)
>
> I have mentioned this before, and I would like to ask EVERYBODY who is
> interested to VOICE your interest directly with the respective
> vendors. This is the first step and it is VERY IMPORTANT.
>
> I am confindent that an Altivec optimised G.729 codec for the PPC970
> CPUs (aka G5) on YDL4 would so clearly trash any Intel or AMD based
> system that most serious deployments that require G.729 will end up
> using Xserve instead of Intel toyz. Combine this with the fact that
> the x86 architecture has hit the wall while IBM is only getting
> started. Even Microsoft have recognised the leadership of IBM by going
> PPC with their new game console. Before this background it is quite
> apparent that there is an interesting market potential for G.729
> binaries for LinuxPPC.

We have plans for a 240 channel VOIP to PRI gateway at a minimum.
So far we're stuck with Intel/AMD, however we would like to run this on a PPC
platform, either Apple, IBM or a clone like the Pegaso motherboard.

If anyone has benchmarked what G5 processor can do as a VOIP=>multiple PRI's
can do, I'd be interested to find out. Specially if it can handle 2 or more
TE405P/TE410P to iLBC or Speex (a G729A isn't available).

If a PPC platform can double channel capacity, I would be pressuring Digium
like crazy to get them to work on it, I'd be in line to purchase over 400
channels of G729 licenses for PPC.

Marcelo Pacheco