[Asterisk-Users] G.729 on YDL and MacOSX

Sat Oct 23 23:04:46 MST 2004

Re: G.729 codec on Yellow Dog Linux for various PPC

Kristian Kielhofner <kris at krisk.org> wrote:

> This is probably a good time to ask if there is any
> planned support for a g729 binary for YDL and
> G3/G4, etc.  I would love to start playing with
> apple hardware, YDL, and asterisk.
> But I need that binary!

Indeed it is a good time to ask (but always start a new thread ;-)

I have mentioned this before, and I would like to ask EVERYBODY who is
interested to VOICE your interest directly with the respective
vendors. This is the first step and it is VERY IMPORTANT.

I am confindent that an Altivec optimised G.729 codec for the PPC970
CPUs (aka G5) on YDL4 would so clearly trash any Intel or AMD based
system that most serious deployments that require G.729 will end up
using Xserve instead of Intel toyz. Combine this with the fact that
the x86 architecture has hit the wall while IBM is only getting
started. Even Microsoft have recognised the leadership of IBM by going
PPC with their new game console. Before this background it is quite
apparent that there is an interesting market potential for G.729
binaries for LinuxPPC.

However, without requests from customers for a G.729 codec for
LinuxPPC it will take so much longer for an x86 centric shop like
Digium to recognise this potential and consider spending time and
effort on it. Therefore, please, send an email to Digium and tell them
that you want this binary for PPC and continue to nag them about it
again and again and again and again. If as a result, Digium realise
that there is demand, then they will quite possibly provide that
binary.

At the same time, let's also remind TerraSoft
(http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com) that Asterisk on their YDL
platform is alive and that their sponsorship to bring Asterisk to
LinuxPPC was not in vain, that there is finally an opportunity to get
a return on their investment. Let's assume that Digium is simply too
busy with other things and that even if they wanted to, they couldn't
do the G.729 codec for PPC. So, in lieu of Digium providing the codec
for PPC, TerraSoft may recognise the opportunity and step in. But
again, in order for this to happen, it will take requests from
customers.

Therefore, please, send an email to Kai Staats at TerraSoft and tell
them that you'd be very interested to buy G.729 codec binaries for
Asterisk on YDL if they were to offer them, then follow up on that
with reminders to show that you are serious about it. TerraSoft have
been working together with Digium to bring Asterisk to YDL, so there
shouldn't be a problem for the two companies to get together again and
bring the G.729 codec to YDL as well. All it takes for that to happen
is visible customer demand.

Perhaps we should set up some kind of petition page on the Wiki.

Re: G.729 codec on MacOSX for Apple Macintosh

Darren Sessions <dsessions at ionosphere.net> wrote:

> Or for that matter, is there a planned G729 binary
> for Mac OSX ?

It will probably take a LinuxPPC port first, but here again, why don't
you send email to Apple and tell them that you would rather purchase
oodles of Xserve instead of x86 based servers if only there was a
G.729 codec for OSX. It will take a lot more noise to get Apple to
recognise that there is a market potential than it will take to get
Digium or TerraSoft to do so, but that's no reason not to make a
request.

So, please, send email to Apple and tell them that you have tested
Asterisk on MacOSX -- they have listed our installer on their website
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/asteriskinstallpackageformacosx.html,
that you found it runs circles around any other product, such as Cisco
Call Manager -- Apple just loves to hear that sort of thing -- and
that the only thing that's missing is the G.729 codec which the open
source community is unable to provide on its own due to the patent
royalties that need to be paid on a reseller-to-patent-holder basis
because there is no end-user-to-patent-holder scheme, that you would
love to buy many many Xserves if Apple was to sell you the missing
codec.

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.