[Asterisk-Users] Re: Howto get voicemail $VM_ vars into externnotify script?

usedcanon usedcanon at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 13:33:13 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:09, Wilson Pickett wrote:
> > I am trying to slap together a script that will email2sms the details of
> > the voicemails left on my * box to my gsm phone. I can't figure out how
> > to get my script to pick up the voicemail vars like ${VM_MSGNUM},
> > ${VM_DATE}, ${VM_MAILBOX}, ${VM_CALLERID}, ${VM_DUR}.
> change the voicemail.conf to include them in the body using the emailbody
as in

> emailbody=${VM_NAME} <${VM_MAILBOX}>\n\nYou have received a ${VM_DUR}
> message from ${VM_CALLERID}.  The message was left on ${VM_DATE}.

Hi Wilson,

Thanks for your suggestion. I already have normal voicemail notification
via email working. Just as you pointed out. What I want to do besides
this is use a script configured in externnotify=/home/patrick/myapp.sh
in voicemail.conf to email this same data to a special email address
that will forward that data automatically as an sms message to my gsm
phone. This simple script doesn't even work:

$cat myapp.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo $emailbody

So either I am doing something not right or maybe these vars are not
exported (or whatever the right word is) by app_voicemail and can't be
accessed by other applications.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick,

For every voicemail message left there is a text file placed in the
voicemail folder that has the information you are seeking. Your external
script or application good check this file and and extract the information
accordingly.

Bear in mind that the last message left will be the highest filename so for
example if you have the following files in the INBOX

  msg0000.txt
  msg0001.txt
  msg0002.txt

in this case msg0002.txt would be the latest message and the message that
you are being notified about by externnotify.

I hope this information helps you solve your problem.

Umar