[Asterisk-Users] Can home/office have same extension

Mon Oct 25 12:02:39 MST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:08:37 -0500, David McNett <nugget at slacker.com> wrote:
> Once you've devised such a mechanism it becomes a simple matter to have
> asterisk route by building an AGI script which runs in the dialplan.  The
> simplest approach would probably be to create an intranet web page where users
> could select their current location.

There is an even simpler way...

set up two 'special' extensions, for example *13 as in IN for "I am
in" and *35 as in OUT for "I am out of here", but what the actual
codes are doesn't really matter.

Then when the extension for IN is dialled, you set the value a
variable with the name or a code for the location, ie "home" and
"office", or 1 and 2.  The name of the variable you construct from the
phone's caller ID so that each user has its own state.

When the extension for OUT is dialled, you clear the variable, ie "" or 0.

Now, if a call comes in for a particular "logical" extension, you
check the variable and route the call accordingly. If the value is
"home" or 1, you send the call to the phone at home, if it is "office"
or "2" you sent it to the phone in the office, if it is "" or 0 you
send it to the user's mobile phone or to voicemail.

If you use DISA, you can even allow users to set their presence status
from outside.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.