[Asterisk-Users] Can home/office have same extension

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Mon Oct 25 11:08:37 MST 2004

On 25-Oct-2004, Doug Dust wrote:
> Users would like to have a physical phone at home and at the office.  They
> would like calls to their extension routed to whichever phone is appropriate
> based on their location.

The only difficult part of this is deciding on what mechanism you want to
use to allow users to identify their present location.  I do a similar bit
of call routing by having my asterisk box search for the presence of my
bluetooth mobile phone in order to determine where I am located.

(details at http://slacker.com/~nugget/asterisk6.php if you're curious)

Once you've devised such a mechanism it becomes a simple matter to have
asterisk route by building an AGI script which runs in the dialplan.  The
simplest approach would probably be to create an intranet web page where users
could select their current location.  More complicated could be monitoring
user activity on their work or home machines.

--
David McNett <nugget at slacker.com>
http://slacker.com/~nugget/