[Asterisk-Users] Digium TheVoice recordings' sound terrible

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sun Oct 24 06:24:03 MST 2004

> A customer has ordered some voice prompts from Digium's TheVoice
> online store. They say the recordings' sound was good when they
> listened to it on their Windoze boxes. However, then Asterisk is
> playing back the recordings, the volume is far too high and they sound
> really bad. This is particularly noticeable since the IVR menu mixes
> those ordered recordings with recordings that are already part of the
> Asterisk distribution. The volume of the included recordings are much
> lower and they sound much better than the ordered recordings.
>
> I wonder why Digium would deliver recordings that differ so much from
> the included set of recordings.

Did you ask Digium?  There's probably not a lot of point in asking
for customer support from any specific vendor in this mail list.
You should contact the vendor's support department directly.

> However, the format the customer ordered was WAV, whereas all the
> included recordings are of course GSM. Has anybody had similar
> experiences? I tried to convert the WAV files to GSM using sox but
> since I don't know what parameters are best in this case, the results
> weren't satisfactory. Any suggestions?

You could try using "sox".  That will convert WAV files to GSM and adjust
the volume for you during the conversion process.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz