[Asterisk-Users] Digium TheVoice recordings' sound terrible

Sun Oct 24 06:12:33 MST 2004

Hi Steve,

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:47:17 -0400, Steve Totaro
<asterisk at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> 1.  I am sure there are free programs that will allow you to adjust the
> files to sound more like the originial recordings as well as converting them
> to gsm.

that's all very cool, but if you read my post carefully -- you did
read more than just the subject line, did you not?! -- then you will
find that I had mentioned I was unable to get acceptable results using
sox because I don't know what parameters to use.

Are you suggesting that sox is not the right tool for the job, no
matter what parameters? I would be very surprised if that was the
case.

Since I didn't think this is the only time that Digium delivered WAV
recordings that are out of sync with the Asterisk GSM sound library,
in other words, that this was a known problem, I honestly expected
that somebody else had already discovered what parameters to use with
sox to do this conversion properly.

> Do some searching and learning and fix it yourself.

I am sure you will appreciate that not everybody is a sound engineer
and not everybody has the time to spend more than a full day of
experimenting to fix five recordings. You will also appreciate that in
such cases people go to mailing lists like this one where they can
reasonably expect that somebody else has already discovered what the
proper parameters are.

Last but not least, my dear friend, if you had the courtesy to browse
the list archive and check out how many times I came here for help
versus how many times I have helped others, then you will probably
find that your remarks are misplaced.

> Digium directly so that they are aware of the problem and can correct it for future
> recordings.

Done that already. No response. Hence my posting here.

> 3.  Email thousands of people that will probably ignore you or not know the
> answer (with the exception of myself).

Well, if you know the answer, then why do you have to write a novel
instead of posting what -- from your experience -- the correct sox
parameters should look like, for example?

> I would choose number one.

And quite possibly revert to asking the list after you have failed to
produce any acceptable results and Digium didn't respond to you.

But then again, I feel sorry that you had such a bad day today. While
I am glad that your wrath didn't hit some poor newbie who would
probably be scared away from ever posting to this list again, I
sincerely hope that you feel better now.

kind regards
benjamin

Tokyo, Japan.