[Asterisk-Users] Digium TheVoice recordings' sound terrible

Sun Oct 24 03:37:49 MST 2004

A customer has ordered some voice prompts from Digium's TheVoice
online store. They say the recordings' sound was good when they
listened to it on their Windoze boxes. However, then Asterisk is
playing back the recordings, the volume is far too high and they sound
really bad. This is particularly noticeable since the IVR menu mixes
those ordered recordings with recordings that are already part of the
Asterisk distribution. The volume of the included recordings are much
lower and they sound much better than the ordered recordings.

I wonder why Digium would deliver recordings that differ so much from
the included set of recordings.

However, the format the customer ordered was WAV, whereas all the
included recordings are of course GSM. Has anybody had similar
experiences? I tried to convert the WAV files to GSM using sox but
since I don't know what parameters are best in this case, the results
weren't satisfactory. Any suggestions?

thanks
rgds
benjk