[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Broadvoice, no incoming voice

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sat Oct 23 16:39:12 MST 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Terry Evans wrote:

> I just signed up for the BroadVoice service a few hours ago, but for
> the life of me I can't get any incoming voice.  The incoming
> connection is fine as it rings my extension from outside, but I can't
> hear anyone talking.   Outgoing voice is working fine though.
(snip)
> I have the following ports forwarded to my linux server (it's behind a
> NAT router):
>
> 5060, 20000-21000 (from my rdp.conf file), 4445, and 4569.  All of
> those have both TCP and UDP forwarded for now.

It really sounds like a NAT problem to me.. If your NAT supports the
notion of a "DMZ host" then give that a try. Or if the NAT has some sort
of logging feature to let you know when the nat receives unexpected
packets and discards them, then look through the log. It may be that BV
isn't sending RTP in the 20000-21000 port range, and that these packets
are being dropped by the NAT. Outgoing RTP (voice) would work fine, of
course, because the NAT is designed to work that direction.

FYI, I just placed a call to my BV number and ran 'netstat -nupa'. UDP
connections showed up on ports 14704, 14705, 19838, 19839. These
disappeared when I hung up the call.

While it might be a config issue, I'm inclined to believe that NAT is
making life unpleasant for you.

Greg