[Asterisk-Users] G.729 licensing/patent? . . . I SMELL SMOKE!

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Fri Oct 22 22:06:48 MST 2004

Amen.

Oops, did I just top post? How terribly lazy of me.

But I digress.

Few will disagree that the careful application of netiquette will be a
benefit to any newsgroup/mailing list/board; and top posting is
something that should be used sparingly. Nevertheless, top posting is
not the horrid crime some might have us believe. When used
appropriately, it serves very well, and only causes offense to the
ideologues. "Me too"-type top posing is usually of no benefit, but when
someone is commenting on a tangled and involved thread, it can make
sense to frame the entirety of the thread in a thoughtful top post.

What IS a serious breach of netiquette, however, is trolling. Efforts to
turn this list into a clique for the sole use of the properly initiated
will never benefit the community. There's something destructive about
the behaviour of individuals who refuse to tolerate opinions different
from their own. These people are little better than bullies because they
serve no one but themselves.

Then we get to the most dangerous beast, the abusive, expert troll. This
is someone who clearly is very intelligent and articulate, and could
argue their value due to a) their willingness to contribute, b) their
level of knowledge and c) their fantastic writing skills. Unfortunately,
these folks reduce their value to almost nothing by virtue of their
pathetic lack of any manners whatsoever. They will drive away more
people than they help -- and that doesn't bother them in the slightest.
What a waste of talent.

We all understand that it is generally best to avoid feeding the trolls,
but every now and then the townsfolk must grab shovels and pitchforks,
and drive these beasts back into the caves from whence they came; where,
one hopes, they will contemplate the value of a few simple manners, and
perhaps even one day to attempt to give to the community without the
needless rancour.

Where do I send my $0.02?