[Asterisk-Users] * and Verisign SIP-7 service

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Oct 22 00:48:29 MST 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 11:39 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Matthew Crocker wrote:
>> I know the AS5400 has STP functionality and I can terminate A-links
>> from the Verizon STP.   What would handle the ISUP messages?  Can
>> Asterisk handle that part of the transaction?
>
> If the AS5400 is doing STP, then it would have to handle ISUP itself.

The STP part of the AS5400 terminated the physical layers (MTP1 & 2)
and sends all the data layers to a softswitch.  It doesn't have any
softswitch capabilities.

> No, Asterisk cannot control an MGCP gateway at this time. If the
> AS5400 is in MGCP mode, it will be expecting a softswitch to control
> it, and it will likely not be able to do STP/ISUP or any other control
> protocols at the same time. In MGCP mode, it's a fairly "dumb"
> PSTN<->packet voice translator (same is true for any MGCP-controlled
> media gateway, the controlling softswitch has all the smarts).

The info sheet at Verisign says their SIP-7 product does the MGCP with
my AS5400 and SIP with a sip server (Asterisk).  An inbound call would
generate a SS7 ISUP message to Verisign.  They would send a SIP message
to Asterisk.  Asterisk would respond with a SIP message back pointing
to a 'sip phone'  Verisign would convert the 'sip phone' to a MGCP
server/port and send the MGCP message to my gateway.

I don't know if this is accurate but that is my impression.

Hopefully I hear from Verisign soon.  My contact I had retired so I'm
back to calling the general sales line.

-matt