[Asterisk-Users] * and Verisign SIP-7 service

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Oct 21 20:39:43 MST 2004

Matthew Crocker wrote:

> I know the AS5400 has STP functionality and I can terminate A-links from
> the Verizon STP.   What would handle the ISUP messages?  Can Asterisk
> handle that part of the transaction?

If the AS5400 is doing STP, then it would have to handle ISUP itself.

>  I'm a CLEC so I'm planning on getting NPA-NXX thousand blocks from 8
> rate centers in the LATA.  I'll need to handle IMT trunks from the
> Verizon access tandem and some Verizon end-offices.  For the amount of
> traffic I'm going to be looking at the SIP-7 stuff would probably be
> cheaper than direct SS7 links.

Cheaper and easier to manage as well, and far more expandable.

>  From my understanding the originating switch will send an ISUP message
> to my SSP using my point-code over the SS7 network.  The AS5400 would
> get the ISUP message and needs to send it somewhere to figure out what
> to do.  The AS5400 would use MGCP (I think) to talk to a softswitch
> (Asterisk??).  If Asterisk can do it all that would be amazing!

No, Asterisk cannot control an MGCP gateway at this time. If the AS5400
is in MGCP mode, it will be expecting a softswitch to control it, and it
will likely not be able to do STP/ISUP or any other control protocols at
the same time. In MGCP mode, it's a fairly "dumb" PSTN<->packet voice
translator (same is true for any MGCP-controlled media gateway, the
controlling softswitch has all the smarts).

I don't know what the capabilities of the AS5400 are, but it's possible
that it could originate/terminate SIP to an Asterisk server, while doing
STP/ISUP on the PSTN side. Still, that would be more expensive than
using an IP-based SS7 service (whether that's Verisign's SIP-7 service
or SIGTRAN from another SS7 network), because of all the SS7 links required.

Your point about multi-LATA expansion also hits it right on the head:
Verisign likely already has an SS7 presence in every LATA you want to be
in, so if you use their service you get access to all of that by just
making a phone call (and signing some magic pieces of paper with numbers
on them <G>).